“Traverse the Universe” started several years ago and was finally finished last year. It is made from plain cotton fabric prepared with dyes, acrylic paints with thermofax screens and spray paint.  The three layers are stitched by hand with various embroidery and sewing threads. I assure you stitching through paint takes quite an effort.


Close up 1


Close up 2



Hoping you all had a wonderful holiday season and wishing for everyone to have a great New Year!

This last year I have been more about doing than about blogging/recording it. And it has been an eventful year.

Coastal nature continues to be a daily treat.

sunrise.jpg sunrise2.jpg

midday.jpg sunset.jpg

Cooking is fun in the new kitchen.

frittata.jpg IMG_kitchen

Though there are always a few mishaps along the way.

mishap.jpg  broken cup.jpg

Traveled a little both nearer and farther.

IMG_artdoor.jpg IMG_bridge.jpg

Had precious visits to and from loved ones. Not everyone is featured here to protect the innocent (or not so innocent).  Some of the photos merely are hints.


IMG_horse.jpg IMG_francis.jpg



Had fun with friends…


Created crafty, artsy things, like playing with photo apps,


making pins to wear (or not) out of precut wood pieces.


Made some great shoulder bags out of this fabric but must have forgotten to photograph the bags…


Made a tunic…


and an apron…


and finished several more quilts…




dyed some fabric… some of which is in an art quilt that is days away from finished.


This year I also came to terms with the fact that my projects take more space than I have.  So I rented a little studio space where I have sufficient room for my “dry” studio activities.  (This means designing, drawing out my ideas, piecing, and long arm quilting as well as storing my stockpile of supplies. I will still be dying and printing on fabrics at home.)




The morning I picked up the studio keys I was greeted by a rainbow.  Seems like a good sign to me.  ;)



©Copyright 2019



I needed to make a mini quilt (7 by 10 inches) and decided it would be a good time to play a bit with abstraction. (I actually had to make the quilt two times as the first time around I mistakenly made it 5 by 7.  Wow is it hard to make all those little pieces for the super mini size. ) I took one of my photos and drew shapes and lines on it to create a pattern for my pieces.


I then selected a fabric which had a pleasing color assortment and used it to audition other fabrics to go with it.


The name is “Door # 30.” What do you think of the results?



A small group I am a member of occasionally has photo challenges.  We select one of the photos taken by a member of the group to be our inspiration.  We can go in any direction we are inspired, using any techniques, styles or themes. We set a size requirement and a deadline and get to work.  It is always rewarding to see the wide variety of interpretations.  We are hoping to have a group exhibit, and for now you will just have to settle for my interpretations.

The first photo was one that I took in the courtyard of a 700 year old French farmhouse.  The quilt challenge and my quilt are both named “Welcome to Provence.” The background fabric is cotton painted with ink and all the rest is machine appliquéd silk organza. I especially like how the silk looks where it is overlapping creating new colors.



The second photo challenge used a photo by Ruth Anne Parker as the inspiration. Her photo was taken of a flower market in Paris.  The challenge and my quilt are named “Parisian Flower Market.” I used a combination of commercial cotton fabrics, silk organza and sun printed cottons.




© 2018

The Mary Fisher and Friends exhibit at the Armory Art Center in West Palm Beach is most inspiring. Although it has been only a few days since I attended the opening, I am almost ready to attend again. There is an impressive number of works by five textile artists, and so I can only offer you a little sampling here.

Mary Fisher ‘s  work, the lion’s share of the exhibit,  includes a variety of techniques and materials.

The installation in the center of the largest space is a bit challenging to describe even when using multiple images.  It feels peaceful, inhabited by souls-perhaps of loved ones lost, soft music playing, light filtering through…


IMG_2667 copy.jpg

IMG_2671 copy.jpg


Complex textures make Fisher’s pieces inviting to inspect.  These are random close ups of some of her work.






The following framed piece by Mary Fisher is “Outside Perspective.”

IMG_2678 copy.jpg


The pieces included in this exhibit by Jane Dunnewold of San Antonio, Texas, appear to include everything from old quilt blocks, book pages, spackle, paint, to maybe even spray paint. (My apologies to Dunnewold for not recording the names of the following two images.  And my thanks to DiTota for taking the two photos.)


Photo credit: Gabriele DiTota



Photo credit: Gabriele DiTota


The front room of the exhibit has work by English textile artists Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn.  For more information on their work see the interview with them at Textile Artist.


“Colour Drift 6” by Jan Beaney



“Thames Vista” by Jan Beaney


The small pieces by Jean Littlejohn draw you in closer and reward you with the beautifully detailed stitching.


“Snow Moon” by Jean Littlejohn



“Tappa’s Moon” by Jean Littlejohn


West Palm Beach artist, Marsha Christo, uses a variety of techniques and materials including silkscreen and mono printing, stencils, painting and stitching.


“Side Gate” and “I Could Stitch Forever” by Marsha Christo

Architectual Digest just published an article on the exhibit which runs Jan. 20th – February 10th.  So if you plan to see it, you better get going!




There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.

%d bloggers like this: