In the past I used a piece of plywood over two collapsible metal sawhorses as a table top for painting on fabric.  When I took the class recently at Arrowmont on Constructed and Deconstructed printing on fabric I learned that it was better to cover the board with some kind of padding such as felt and then to cover it with plastic.

I decided to make two print boards, the first would be for use outside as a support for dying, painting and screen printing projects. I used a 4 x 8 ft. rigid foam insulation board.  For the smaller board for inside use I used a thin 2 x 4 ft. piece of birch wood. I covered each board with two layers of the thin padding that is used under engineered wood.  Then I covered each with plastic. I just used the small board for the first time.

At Arrowmont I had printed on a blank silk scarf.  (I got mine from Dharma Trading.)  I had drawn with water soluble pastels directly onto a screen and then I squeeged an extender through the screen releasing some of the pastels onto the silk. The extender also helps to keep a fair amount of the pastels which are water soluble on the fabric. While I loved the watercolor effect I obtained, I still felt I needed to add more color and detail to it.

So yesterday after pinning the scarf with t pins to my new board, I drew directly onto the scarf with the water soluble pastels.  Then I added a thin coat of extender onto the fabric (you can squeeqe through a screen or directly onto the fabric.)  After drying the scarf, I ironed it and put it into the wash. 

I tend to overwork a bit when going back into a work, so I was glad that some of the detailing I had just added, did wash out.  Overall I like the final results.

©Copyright 2011

Advertisements