You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘print on fabric’ tag.

One of the things I have wanted to do is to build my skills with various photo or art apps with the idea of increasing the ways I can alter and print images on fabric.  I am currently taking a great online class with Susie Monday which makes me take the time to explore a variety of apps on the ipad.  Almost every day a new app to play with!  Here are two favorites from this week.


(Above) Original photo of a sailboat that washed ashore after a hurricane, altered in ToonCamera.



(Above.) Another shot of the same boat altered in MobileMonet.



In recent times, so much has happened in the world, in my life, in my art that blogging has fallen to the wayside.  Catching up seems like an impossible task and then I start wondering if I should blog at all.  But I do love sharing glimpses of my art explorations, cooking attempts and beach adventures as I also love seeing the explorations of others.  So I will give it another try, not by attempting to catch up, but just by continuing to show tidbits of the world from my limited vantage point.

So for today, here are a few tidbits.

First is a small self portrait done on fabric with photoshop, printing on fabric, water color paints, ink pencils and stitching.

Self Portrait_IMG_1173

Here is a little fabric post card I made (though the wonders of Photoshop)  for someone who is moving far, far away on a big adventure of her own.


And on today’s menu is a favorite soup, Pasta E Ceci.  I like all the versions (vegetarian) that I have tried, but this particular version is from “Whole Bowls” by Allison Day.


And while the thunder is rumbling outside and I eat the warm soup, I will laugh my way through another Dave Barry book.






I wanted to challenge myself to make something on a larger scale than I usually work.  I selected one of my Florida nature photos, drew a grid over it and then outlined the main elements on a 3 foot by 4 foot piece of muslin also with a drawn grid.


I had to figure out what sections of the design needed to be applied first and what was best to add latter.  I started with the water and then started working around the fabric section by section.


I had a large selection of fabrics for my color palette, and I used several types of fusing material.  If only I had used only the lightest fuse for the entire project perhaps the quilt would have been softer to the touch and maybe I could have quilted it with the long arm instead of my home machine. Both before and after the project was quilted I added some shadows and highlights with acrylic paints thinned with water or fabric extender.

IMG_7088 copy

My secret spice was the use of several watercolors by my oldest son which I printed on fabric with my new Epson (Stylus Pro 3880) and inserted into the design in several places becoming the hidden gems. I was elated with how well the new printer worked on fabric.



palm treessm

And after what felt like forever, this is the resulting wall hanging.


Of course when you are done with a big project, you see both the things that turned out better than you expected as well as where you might have done things differently.

What do you think?

© 2015

This is my most recently finished quilt which is made with photos (mine) and hand dyed fabric (purchased).


I received the most beautiful hand dyed fabrics in a fabric swap with Marjorie of i dye everyday.


I attended the Florida Cabin Fever Quilt Guild show and bought this fabric from Sundara Fabrics. You don’t need to say anything about all the fabric I just cleared out of my stash, ok?


©Copyright 2013

I completed my first fiber project of the year, Sun Splash, in the wee hours of the morning.

Several years ago I had taken a class and printed on fabric with paint. I took digital photos of the fabric.


Then I took a few photos of sun flowers on a trip to New Jersey. One of the sunflower photos I layered with the photo of the fabric in Photoshop, blending the two images together. I also printed these photos on fabric.

Then in the last few days I took the image (the one that blended the fabric with sunflowers) and printed it on textured stabilizer. IMG_1282

Because the color was more vivid on the texturized stablizer (with Ink Aid also used) than the original prints on cotton fabric,  I took Derwent Inktense pencils, water and a brush and made those images more vivid.


This is the resulting collage.


©Copyright 2013

%d bloggers like this: